[LiSA-Devel] Any plan to get Lisa working with Kernel 3.x ?

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at mindbit.ro
Fri Dec 7 12:20:08 EET 2012

Hi Sebastien,

I'm always glad to hear about people who are interested in LiSA. Can you
please provide a link for your project? I would like to read more about
it.

Anyway, I would like to support you including Lisa in your project, but
I think at this point it's more like an open discussioin about the best
way to do it.

We are currently focusing on adding support in the userspace side of
Lisa for the standard "bridge" and "8021q" modules of the Linux kernel
to achieve similar functionality as the Lisa "switch" kernel module
provides.

The main reason for doing this is that Linux Netdev people won't accept
a new module that provides the same functionality as the existing
modules do. "If there's something wrong with bridge or 8021q, fix them
instead" - this is practically what they told us when we asked them
about integrating Lisa upstream.

However, our current roadmap includes a major change in the userspace
Lisa in order to support other switching engines than Lisa's own kernel
module. I don't expect these changes (and the bridge+8021q support) to
be completed before May 2013.

But, if you're willing (or it's feasible to) ship a modified kernel with
your kernel, you can include Lisa as it is right now. The switching
engine is very stable (I've been running it for a couple of years on my
home router without any problems), except for the multicast part - which
can be disabled.

Porting the module to kernel 3.x shouldn't be a problem, and I'm willing
to support you if you decide to go this way.

Best regards,

Radu Rendec