[LiSA-Devel] Lisa for Kernel 3.x ?

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at mindbit.ro
Mon Mar 3 11:33:03 EET 2014

Hi,

No, not really. I know that before Christmas I told you I would look
over this issue during the Holidays. However, my schedule turned out to
be more demanding than I had expected - plus some personal problems that
also interfered.

Anyway, the linux kernel already has the "traditional" bridge module
(which has been there since very long ago) and the open vswitch module
(this has been accepted upstream recently). On the other hand, the lisa
module is old and unmaintained, and not accepted upstream even as a
staging module. Given that and the general lack of interest in the
project, at this point I believe it would be just a waste of time to
keep working on porting the module.

Last year's development wave moved the project towards a more generic
switching framework in userspace, which is able to support various
switching engines in kernel. The cli (which is cisco-like) is a major
component of whatever is left of the project. Changing it to support
juniper-like commands means rewriting most of the code.

In other words, I believe building a juniper-like cli around some of the
existing kernel switching modules is a distinct project that can (re)use
very little of what we have in lisa right now.

Best regards,

Radu Rendec