[LiSA-Users] [RE] Linux Multilayer Switch support netfilter ?

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at ines.ro
Wed Aug 9 11:55:58 EEST 2006

Hi,

What you've got there is normal behaviour, because you inserted the rule
in the FORWARD chain and that chain applies to packets forwarded at OSI
Layer 3 (routed packets).

With your network configuration packets will only be forwarded at Layer
2 (switched) between eth0, eth1 and vlan1.

You can get pretty good diagrams about netfilter packet flow here:
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~mattw/proj/nf/

Your ping requests however go through the OUTPUT chain before reaching
vlan1 output queue. Ping replies from host A in your diagram go through
the INPUT chain after they are received by vlan1 and before they reach
upper layers processing.

You can get packets to pass through the FORWARD chain if you assign eth1
a different vlan (let's say 2) and do routing between vlan1 and vlan2.
But I think this would make no sense at all with only two physical
interfaces - you could assign the ip addresses directly to the physical
interfaces and forget about LiSA.

Regards,

Radu Rendec