[LiSA-Users] how to configure a PC with four NICs to be a switch ?

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at ines.ro
Thu Sep 25 16:23:43 EEST 2008

Hi,

What you did is basically good and your setup acts just like a simple,
unmanaged 4-port switch; but LiSA can do much more ;)

The swctl tool is (historically speaking) the first userspace tool that
we wrote for the switch engine management, and used it mostly during
development. At present it's limited and even deprecated (at some of its
features).

The command line interface tool (it's called swcli) on the other hand is
the easiest and most powerful way to configure LiSA - it allows you to
configure and use all the features that are currently implemented.

If you are familiar with Cisco's cli, you can simply use the commands
you know on LiSA's cli - it's nearly the same, just remember to use ethX
instead of fa0/X for referencing the interfaces.

This is what am example swcli session looks like:

[root at box ~]# swcli
box.ines.ro#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
box.ines.ro(config)#int eth0
box.ines.ro(config-if)#switchport ?
  access                Set access mode characteristics of the interface
  mode                  Set trunking mode of the interface
  trunk                 Set trunking characteristics of the interface
  <cr>

box.ines.ro(config-if)#^Z
box.ines.ro#q
[root at box ~]#