[LiSA-Users] vlan interfaces are generated with the same MAC addresses

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at mindbit.ro
Fri Mar 1 17:57:13 EET 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 20:29 +0100, chicany wrote:

Hi!

Sorry for the delayed answer. Please see my inline comments below.

> seems that /etc/modprobe.d/lisa.conf doesn't exist. Anyway I'd tried
> to create and configure it with the line you provided  but MAC address
> kept to be the same -  even LiSA was restarted afterwards.

It's normal that /etc/modprobe.d/lisa.conf didn't exist by default and
you needed to create it. However, it's strange that it didn't solve the
problem. The whole point of creating this file and restarting LiSA is to
load the kernel module using the vif_mac parameter. But let's try to
isolate the problem:

      * stop the lisa service
      * check that the module is not loaded anymore: lsmod | grep switch
      * manually load the module, using a custom MAC address: modprobe
        switch vif_mac=02:00:11:22:33:44
      * start the lisa service

> I also tried to create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vlan30 and
> configure it as following but without success.
>
> DEVICE=vlan30
> HWADDR=02:00:11:22:33:44
> ONBOOT=yes

I'm not 100% sure, but I think HWADDR is used for identifying the
interface by the current MAC, and there is another variable for
specifying a new MAC address to be assigned. Anyway, this is not
supported by the kernel part (see below).

> When I tried to change MAC address of vlan30 with command ifconfig
> vlan30 hw ether 02:00:11:22:33:44 I got "SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not
> supported"

Yes, that's because the MAC address change method is not implemented on
the kernel side. But it would be a nice feature though and I'll consider
it for implementation.

Cheers,

Radu