[LiSA-Users] vlan interfaces are generated with the same MAC addresses

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at mindbit.ro
Sat Mar 2 10:09:29 EET 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 07:16 +0100, chicany wrote:

> 1.
>

> Today I was able to change MAC address for VLAN interface. It works
> perfectly in both cases - when I load switch module with vif_mac
> parameter and also as when I add a line vif
> to /etc/modprobe.d/lisa.conf. Sorry for confusing you last time I
> don't really know when I made a mistake during my tests.

Hi,

Great to know that it's working for you. Please find my answers below.

> 2.
>

> Seems that the last two hexa numebers are changed for vlan interface.
> For example, when vif_mac is 02:00:11:22:33:42 the MAC adress of VLAN
> interface30  is e.g. 02:00:11:22:33:6A. I'm ok with it but I have
> another question.  Cisco allows to change MAC address of particular
> interface under interface configuration. Would it be possible to
> implement this command at least for VLAN interfaces?

Yes, for each vlan interface the kernel module performs a logical XOR
between the configured vif_mac and the vlan ID. We implemented it this
way 8 years ago during the initial development effort. Later, we
realized that it made no sense, since vlans are completely isolated at
layer 2 anyway and there is no risk in conflicting MAC address. However,
we haven't found the time to fix this.

I think the ability to change the MAC address from the interface config
menu is a simple yet very useful feature. We're going to have a new
development session with a team of younger developers during the next 3
or 4 months. Although the effort will be focused on the switching engine
abstraction and porting lisa to other platforms, I think it's a good
opportunity to add this feature and I'm going to propose and support it.

> 3.
>

> I noticed even the ping and traceroute commands are available in the
> enabIe mode they are not working.  For instance:
>
> QEMU2#ping 192.168.1.2
>            ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
>
> For this reason I must exit LiSA when everytime those commands are
> needed. Sorry, I should have brought this to a new topic but it is
> really annoying ;)

I think this is also a nice feature and I know that quagga/zebra
implements it at least with ping. I'll consider this as well for the
upcoming development session. Thanks for all the good suggestions! It's
really helpful for us to know what users actually need, so we can put
the effort in the right direction.

Have a nice weekend,

Radu