[LiSA-Devel] Multi-engine questions

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at mindbit.ro
Thu Jun 6 11:28:49 EEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 20:05 +0300, Mihaela Alexandra Martinas wrote:

> I started analyzing how the multi-engine can be designed and a few
> questions popped up:
> 1. The user should have access to the cli of the switches that the
> multi-engine attempts to hide?(I know that the purpose for creating
> the multi-engine was that the user to access in a transparent manner
> the switches. Following this logic to access the clis shouldn't be
> necessary).

I would say "not necessarily", but it would be a "nice-to-have" feature,
though. In other words, if having this feature complicates the design
and bloats the code, then forget it.

> 2. Since the switches are on the same machine is it ok to communicate
> through sockets with the hidden switches?

No, it doesn't make sense to use sockets if the switches are on the same
machine. But on the other hand, who says the switches are on the same
machine? Maybe you have a cluster of VM hosts, each of them having a
bridge+8021q lisa switch. And you want to deal with the whole cluster as
if it shared a single big switch.

If the design is based on sockets, it can easily scale to a distributed
system but can still be used on a single-machine system. By the way,
sockets on the loopback interface are really fast ;)

Radu