[LiSA-Users] Lisa supports sub-interfaces?

Luis luis at telus.net
Sat Jan 10 17:59:56 EET 2009

Hi,

I'm thinking of using Lisa at work to deploy across a fleet of 50+ Linux
boxes, one per building in my company such that I can remotely ssh to each
Linux box, and test each of my building's LANs. My ideal requirements are as
follows:

1)       Have a single Linux box per building (all buildings are WAN meshed
across a private WAN via Telco)

2)       Each Linux box to have 1 NIC

3)       Each Linux box would use 802.1q trunking, with about 9 VLANs and 1
subnet per VLAN. Trunking would be done to a single port of a LAN 3COM
switch.

4)       Each subnet would be unique, and each subnet would need its own
unique gateway IP address (this is the main reason I'm wanting to try Lisa.
I've had a heck of a time trying to get the standard Linux routing table to
accept and route different subnets to different gateways, possibly I was
doing something wrong).

I am fairly familiar with Cisco switches and routers, and in Cisco-land I
would simply create a bunch of subinterfaces under a single physical port,
configure a bunch of VLANs in the global config and subnets per VLAN, and
add a bunch of static routes for each gateway IP per subnet.

The big question I have is: Can Lisa support subinterfaces and allow for a
routing table to have multiple gateway IP addresses?(one per subnet), beyond
just a routing table with a default route like what Linux without Lisa seems
to do?

If subinterfaces are not supported, could you possibly point to a way of
accomplishing my goals above with Linux?

Thanks a lot!

Luis

PS. Suggestion: Your Documents webpage could really use a user manual so
people can tell what commands are supported. The screenshots don't show
everything.