[LiSA-Users] Lisa supports sub-interfaces?

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at ines.ro
Mon Jan 12 12:30:10 EET 2009

Hi,

First of all, most of LiSA code is Layer 2. All Layer 3 functions are
accomplished through the original linux ip stack. In fact, all we did
was implement per-vlan virtual interfaces and this is all that's
necessary to do inter-vlan routing - the linux routing code takes care
of the rest.

Since LiSA tries to mimic Cisco switches (rather than routers) you
should think of it as a Cisco Layer 3 switch. So it basically behaves
like a switch, but you can assign ip addresses to more than one vlanX
interface and do routing between those interfaces.

Going back to your configuration, you can't create subinterfaces, but
you can configure the physical interface of the linux box in trunk mode
and use vlanX (virtual) interfaces for Layer 3.

Since you have only one NIC in each linux box, you don't need LiSA at
all because there's nothing to *switch* packets between. You could use
instead the 8021q kernel module along with it's userspace companion,
vconfig. This allows for 802.1q trunking and, for instance, if you have
eth0 for the NIC, you can create eth0.2 and eth0.3 which will operate
with untagged packets on vlan 2 and 3 respectively.

I'm not familiar with other distro's init scripts, but on RedHat and
friends you can even have the eth0.X interfaces brought up automatically
at system startup with minimal effort.

Going back to your routing issue, you can't have more than one default
route in a routing table, but you can have more than one routing
table ;) Then you can configure what routing table to look at depending
on the source network of the packet. The key to this approach is in the
following command families:

ip rule ... -> inspect or configure policy routing rules
/etc/iproute2/rt_tables -> define routing table names
ip route ... table ... -> manipulate routes in a specific table

I don't know if this is all supported by the standard init scripts, you
might have to put all the comands in a script and have it run
from /etc/rc.local.

If you still want to use linux for your project, then you should
definitely have a look at LARTC (http://lartc.org/howto/), especially at
chapter 4.

I hope this answers your questions.
Best regards,